BLB Solicitors have settled a claim on behalf of a Polish workman who suffered a massive electric shock whilst working on a construction site.
Richard Lowes, a partner at BLB Solicitors said “this gentleman had only been on site for 2 days, working as a general labourer. Despite having no training or prior experience, he was asked to take a pneumatic hammer and remove an existing concrete floor.”
“Shortly afterwards, the hammer cut through a high voltage mains electricity cable. He suffered an enormous electric shock and was thrown backwards about 10 feet.””
“In addition to having no training or prior experience, investigations revealed that there had been no attempt to survey the floor for underground pipes and cables.””
“Despite suffering a multitude of injuries, including burns and a back injury, he was just grateful to be alive. It is unlikely that he will be able to undertake heavy manual work again, but he has now found new, lighter employment.”
Mr Lowes said that despite considerable regulation regarding the use of electricity in the workplace, injuries caused by electrocution were remarkably common. “Unfortunately, many employers, particularly in the construction industry, seem to have a rather blase attitude towards the dangers of electricity. Of my personal caseload I currently have 3 cases involving injury caused at work by electrocution. In every case, very basic precautions taken by the employer would have prevented injury.”